According to local legend Bonsentier (good path) was called Bousentier (lovely scent) until the 13th century when King Louis IX was on his way to Mont St Michel and made a poor pun while staying in the house. The pun stuck and Bonsentier was effectively renamed by Royal appointment!
The current house, called Bonsentier, in Barenton, is a farmhouse built circa 1600. Many of the original and later outbuildings survive including a timbered barn housing the remnants of an ancient cider press, the original hand pump and a stone built bread oven that supplied the local hamlet that arose around Bonsentier House.
The gite is semi detached with the main house. Original beams survive in both sides of the house along with other original features including a 19th century wood burning stove in the main house.